Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A Good Buy

Nearing thirty years ago, Harland came home and asked if I wanted to buy a gray horse.  Of course I did, I have always loved gray horses!  I would want any horse, but this horse was an opportunity. An opportunity under normal circumstances would not be afforded to us at that time. This horse was coming from a dentist in Georgia. He had begun dabbling in cutting horses and looking for the right horse.  The gray horse wasn't right for him but he wanted the horse to have a good home and offered him to Harland.  We borrowed the money against my car and bought the horse.  We were so excited!

Finally the day comes for him to come home. The trailer pulls up and Harland backs out a soot black horse.  I have to say, I was so disappointed.  I said, where is my gray horse.  Apparently, a gray horse doesn't start out gray!  Don't laugh, I didn't know!  So now we have a new but not so gray horse. I fell in love with him anyway. His name is Doc's Clabber.  But, just Clabber to us. 

It's hard to condense all the years gone by since we brought him home into just a few words.  Turns out Clabber grew up to become a beautiful and great horse... Everything we needed, a horse with personality and an awesome roping horse for Harland.  Many starts out of the roping shoots and wet blankets and he also becomes a baby sitter for three little girls. I can still see our golden haired little girls bouncing around on him in the arena.

Finally, the little girls grow up.  Harland and Clabber retire and he is the last horse standing on the farm.  Although Clabber hasn't been saddled in years, Harland saddled him one afternoon about a year and half ago to get a photo with Charlotte, our granddaughter.  There he was, all dressed up and still a gentleman, our now very gray horse standing for yet another little girl.



Clabber never misses a meal, reminding anyone that comes to the barn that he's waiting and ready to eat.  That's why when Harland couldn't find him Sunday night at feeding time we were concerned.  With many tears shed, it's very sad to tell you that Clabber has passed away.  I believe he is now roaming greener pastures.  He had a great horse life here with us and we will miss him very much.  We will always remember him with the fondest of memories.



I think the title picture for my blog is one of the best we have of him.  I selected that picture last week when I started my blog.  Coincidence...Maybe not!  That's how I will always remember him.

 

 

2 comments:

Audrey Signorelli said...

Yesterday was such a sad day. The pasture just won't be the same without him grazing out there. He taught this cowgirl a lot. He will be missed, even from VA. Love you!

amber said...

Some of my earliest memories are of Clabber. I can't imagine the Ingram farm without him. He was like family. Very sad to say good-bye to our dearest horse Clabber.