Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

Progress

 I made progress clearing out some of our excess today and spent the better part of the day working on my project.  What a mess I've made of the whole house while trying to clean up!  I just hate that.  Getting started is the hardest, but I think trying to tie up the loose ends is the most challenging.  If you don't get it organized, you've wasted your time.

Have you ever put something away in a safe place?  Then later when you need it you're unable to remember where you put it.  I have many times.  I makes me so mad at myself!   I suspect this will become an ever increasing occurrence as I grow older. Going through all of this stuff, I ran across several things that I had put away then forgot about.  Good to find these things but sort of aggravating as well.  I found several little spiral notepads that I like to keep in my purse. I had forgotten that I found a good deal and bought a pack of them.  I have bought several more having forgotten about my good deal.  I ran across several packs of thank you notes, a pack of felt tip pens and so on.  I also found the instruction manual for the phone, old cell phones, the ceiling fan, several pictures.  I could go on and on.  All the more reason to finish going through all this stuff.  I can see the top of my desk now!  

Funny how things find a way of happening to slow down the progress.  Today I was on my belly on the floor trying to vacuum under two heavy pieces of furniture. I just started  to notice the vacuum sounded funny.   I had to pull it all apart.  No everything looked okay.  So I turned it back on and it still sounded strange.  So I took it apart again.  After further investigation it appears the hose was stopped up.  I took it outside so I could see and it took me a while to work the contents loose.  But I finally got it fixed.

Since I was outside I decided to go to the barn and pick up the eggs and turn out my little bantam chickens.  They don't get out as much because I don't want the big chickens to hurt them.  But, they are getting big enough now.  They were out for the first time yesterday, but would not leave the hallway of the barn.  While I was at the barn Harland came up on the tractor with a load of logs. As he drove up he was telling me that I wasn't going to be happy.  He explained that earlier this afternoon as he was making a trip toward the barn he saw a hawk take one of my chickens.  I love letting them free range, but it is just becoming a common occurrence to lose them to predators.  Even if I had been at the barn with them I wouldn't have been able to stop it.

                  This looks like my little bantam bard rock rooster.


It's been a tough couple of weeks for our animals.  We lost Clabber a week ago, he would have been 30 years old this April.  We lost Lucy one of our older cows.  Harland found her Sunday morning.  She just laid down where he put out the hay. I found an old record of the cows  She was born in 1995, so she was about 16 years old.  Today, my chicken.  Hope this will be the end of this for a while.

                        This was Lucy with her 2009 calf.
                                              

                 This is not my Silkie hen, but she looks like this

On a happier note, I have a white silkie chicken that has been sitting on some eggs.  Hopefully, we will see her hatch some chicks in the next week or so.  If they make it they should be here when Charlie and Bella come to the farm in March.  Charlie likes the chickens.  She likes to help me pickup the eggs and she likes to hear the roosters crow.  I was looking at some pictures of her with the chickens and thinking how much she has grown and changed since they were take.  She called me yesterday to wish me a happy birthday.  She didn't have a lot to say, but I can hear in her voice she is growing up.  Bella jabbered at me for a long time too.  I can't wait to see them again.  We will get to see them in February.  I want to have my project finished before they come in March so we will have plenty of time to play.  If I stay after it like I did today, I should be done.


2 comments:

amber said...

Poor little chicken :( Will miss Lucy too. What a sad week you have had. Hope things make a turn for the better. xoxoxo

Audrey Signorelli said...

Sorry to hear about your chicken and Lucy! She's been around the farm for a long time! Spring is around the corner, though, so hopefully there'll be lots of chicks and calves running around on the farm :)