Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Today the Sun Is Shining

What a beautiful day we had yesterday and so far today after 5 days of rain and gloom.  It makes me long for spring even more having a taste of warm sunny days.  At the first sign of warmer weather I am always anxious to get flowers beds ready and flowers set out. Harland has said he is ready to plant the garden too. Thus far we have had a very mild winter.  I have heard some say that their flowers like daffodils and crocus have come up.

For at least one reason we need to string several days of cold weather together.  Peach and many other fruit trees must have a period of cold weather to end winter dormancy (approx 30 days, more or less depending on the variety).   Otherwise growth is delayed with a longer period of blooming which could leave the blooms vulnerable to frost in the spring.   In other words, trees need to rest.

As I was thinking this morning about yesterday's beautiful weather, I realized how much more I appreciate spring because of living through the cold of winter.  In the spring, summer and fall, we are so busy here at the farm.  We work hard at the barn, in the garden and the yard.  Winter brings us a break and we need the cold of winter to help us find rest. 

I love the spring, I think it is my favorite season.  But, I was also thinking this morning of that time right before spring arrives... you know, those long hours and few days of winter when it is still cold, dark and raining, but warming just enough to give a hint spring is so close.  I get that kind of tickle in my belly, the beginning of excitement and hope.  I know I am being silly, but I wonder if that is how the flowers feel.  Drawing energy from their roots and hovering just below the surface in the dark.  Hoping for the moment it is time to spring forth and grow in the warmth of the sunlight.

Don't be fooled little flowers.  I think more winter is yet to come.  It is far to early to spring forth now.  To everything there is a season (Ecc 3:1-8)  I know how you feel, but rest and sleep a little longer!

                                                         

No comments: