Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

Answered Prayers

Sorry to have been away for so long.  We were having problems staying connected to the internet.  We finally called our provider to check on the problem.  Apparently our router need to be replaced.  Then a computer problem.  Hopefully we have most of that behind us!

We had a little bit of snow last night.  Not a lot.  But, enough to cover the trees and ground and cling to all the surfaces.  I am not a great fan of snow.  But when it does snow I love to watch it falling.  We were driving home yesterday evening from Pittsboro after going to the birthday bash at Wayne and JoCasta's house.  Most of the drive we saw a mix of rain, sleet and snow.  But when we got to Yadkinville it was really putting it down and the roads were getting slick.


This morning I was washing dishes and looking out the kitchen windows.  The snow was glistening in the sun and the sky was cloudless and a beautiful shade of blue.  I was admiring the trees wearing their lovely garments of white.  The snow really brightens and dresses up their dull gray wardrobe.  Have you ever noticed how quiet it is after a snow?  It makes me want to whisper while I'm walking around in it.  One of my favorite times to take pictures of the farm is after a snow.  

I know a lot of the ladies around here have been praying for snow all winter.  According to the weather forecasts we will be close to the 70's by the end of the week.  This was most likely our last shot at any winter weather.  If that holds true, what a lovely way to remember the winter of 2012.

We had a surprise addition yesterday.  One of Harland's heifers was out in our yard.  He thought she had roamed out through the gate when he was putting out hay.  But when he put her up she kept bawling towards the woods and didn't dive into the hay like the rest of the girls.  Harland went through the woods and found her little bull calf curled up around a little white pine.  They were happily reunited and the world was good again for momma and baby!

Harland was saying this afternoon that he wished he could get in the garden and get some of the spring crops planted.  I am sure we will have some more cool weather, but spring truly is right around the corner.  That means I better get busy finishing up my winter projects.  I have a little more to do in our bedroom.  The storage building was put on hold while I did some regular cleaning last week, getting ready for the girls to come home.  In the process I got the steps going upstairs cleaned off.  That's where everything lands that needs to go downstairs or out to the storage building. I am looking forward to getting all this behind me so I can move to other projects on my list.

Only about 9 or 10 more days until Harland can fire up the smoker.  He and Calvin were out there Friday night talking out the final details.  It won't be long!  Harland fired up his propane smoker Saturday and put on a roast and a couple of turkeys to take to the birthday bash.  When it was finished he used the slicer and shaved some really thin pieces off of the roast.  It was so delicious and the turkey was too!  I made a roast beef sandwich for lunch this afternoon.  It was wonderful!  JoCasta makes a great sauce she uses on her pork roast.  I was thinking that would be so good on the roast beef.  I tried to throw it together, but it didn't taste as good as hers.  It probably would have been better to get the recipe, but I didn't want to call her again at work.

It's always so nice to have my family all under the same roof together.  Even if it's not our roof.  I never imagined when they were young that we wouldn't always be together.  I made them all promise they would never move beyond he end of our driveway.  They did promise!

It was good to see Charlotte and Bella yesterday.  I will probably say this everytime I see them, but they change so much from week to week.  Charlotte sat with Harland and Phil (Wayne's dad) and myself at a little table.  She was very talkative and trying to tell us about 'Last night'.  Then, 'last night mommy', 'gettin up' and 'gettin' Bubba'.  Whatever her story really was, she was really trying to tell us about it!  She was slowly eating her lunch and Papa was ready to have some dessert.  He was trying to encouraging her eat some veggies so she could have some valentine pound cake that I made for her.  She had no problem with that.  I didn't hear much out of Bella at all Sunday.  She make her way around to everyone and babbled and smiled to everyone that would listen.  She is such a cutie!


They will both be here at the farm for a week in March.  Hoping we will have some mild weather while they are here so we can get out, walk and enjoy some fresh air.  I also want to get some pictures.  I just haven't gotten many of the two of them together and hoping I can change that while they are here.

1 comment:

Audrey Signorelli said...

Had a great weekend! Dad's chicken and BBQ was amazing as always. No snow waiting for us in VA, but got to play a little with Charlie yesterday before we left. Love you!